Posts Tagged ‘fire’

Fire fatalities mainly caused by careless smoking

A new report released by Alaska State Troopers says fire fatalities occurring in January over the past five years were mainly due to careless smoking, with substance abuse as a contributing factor. Almost 75 percent of these fires showed that alcohol or drug use was a contributing facto. ... read more >>

Israel Fire Reportedly Started by 14-Year-Old Boy

Israeli police say they have arrested the “prime suspect” in the nation’s worst wildfire – a 14-year-old boy who says the blaze was an accident. Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the boy, who was arrested yesterday, told them he had been smoking a hookah last Thursday and threw some burning coals into an open area in the Carmel forest.Rosenfeld says the boy told police he panicked, fled the scene and returned to school without telling anyone as the fire quickly spread through the forest. Rosenfeld would not say how police found the boy, or whether he was connected to other suspects. Police have two other youths under house arrest. ... read more >>

Death by fire in the gulf

The open ocean, 12 miles from ground zero of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the gulf is hovering between life and death. The large strands of sargassum seaweed atop the ocean are normally noisy with birds and thick with crustaceans, small fish and sea turtles. But now this is a silent panorama, heavy with the smell of oil. ... read more >>

Moment teenager dangled baby girl out of a fifth-floor window as fire and smoke engulfed their apartment

This is the horrific moment a baby girl was dangled out of a fifth-floor window by a teenage relative as they were trapped by fire. Terrified Vanessa Scott, 18, thought holding her 7-month-old cousin Zaniwah Alexandra out of the window would help her get air to breath. Neighbours in New York’s Bronx looked on in terror as the tot swung in the air – and the teenager screamed: ‘Please catch my baby! I don’t want to die!’ ... read more >>

Mother dies despite daughter’s attempts to save her in second fatal Brooklyn fire in three days

A beloved Brooklyn mom died in a smoky blaze Monday despite her daughter’s desperate attempt to save her. Flames and dense smoke closed in on Sandra Lubin’s fifth-floor apartment in the Bayview Houses in Canarsie just after 6 a.m. Her daughter, Jessica, frantically tried to reach her mom. ... read more >>

Are e-cigarettes safe to use?

Sharon Bosworth is running out of ways to break the grip of the cigarette. Suffering from emphysema, the 51-year-old Overland Park, Kan., woman has tried gum, the patch and classes on how to give up smoking. Now she is turning to a cigarette for the 21st century, one that relies on electricity, batteries and liquid nicotine instead of matches, fire and tobacco. ... read more >>

Cigarette suspicion as man survives sleepout inferno

A Kaikohe man is lucky to be alive after a blaze gutted his sleepout. The Kaikohe Fire Brigade was called out just before 2am on Friday, to Tawa St, off Purdy St, where a young man had been asleep in a sleepout attached to a garage when the fire broke out. Senior firefighter Douglas Hall said the garage was well ablaze when the brigade arrived. ... read more >>

The e-cigarette lights up a debate

Sharon Bosworth is running out of ways to break the grip of the cigarette. Suffering from emphysema, the Overland Park woman, 51, has tried gum, the patch and even classes on how to quit. Now she is turning to a cigarette for the 21st century, one that relies on electricity, batteries and liquid nicotine instead of matches, fire and tobacco. ... read more >>

Fire kills 2 Detroit brothers, woman

An early morning fire killed two Detroit brothers and a woman Tuesday, relatives said. Relatives said Tyrone and Marvin Allen, both in their 60s, and Lynn Greer died in the house fire, while the men’s nephew, Ronald Gross, 43, had to jump from a second-story window to escape the blaze, The Detroit News reported. ... read more >>

Woman, 62, dies in Quincy fire

A woman died yesterday morning in a two-alarm fire sparked by a cigarette, according to fire officials. Residents of the city-owned high-rise at 95 Martensen St., which houses elderly, low-income, and disabled residents, said they had warned 62-year-old Donna Marani not to smoke in her apartment – especially because she regularly used home oxygen devices. ... read more >>

Pulaski man dies after catching fire while smoking with oxygen tank

A Beaver County man was killed and his wife injured this morning in a fire that started after the man lit up a cigarette while using an oxygen tank, authorities said. Donald Hawthorne, 78, caught fire about 5:20 a.m. while in a rear bedroom of the mobile home he shared with his wife Bernie, 72, said Pulaski Fire Chief Rich Morrell. ... read more >>